- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 1/2 cups (10 oz.) chopped palm sugar or firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid tamarind concentrate or lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh Thai or serrano chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 cups bite-size pieces mixed fresh fruit (pineapple, mango, honeydew, seedless watermelon, star fruit, grapefruit or orange segments, unripe or ripe papaya, green apple)
- calories 121
- caloriesfromfat 1.5 %
- protein 0.4 g
- fat 0.2 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- carbohydrate 31 g
- fiber 0.8 g
- sodium 71 mg
- cholesterol 0.1 mg
How to Make It
In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir anchovy paste until warm, about 30 seconds.
Add 1 cup water, palm sugar, tamarind concentrate, chilies, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced to 1 cup, about 20 minutes.
Pour through a strainer into a bowl; discard residue. Cover and chill syrup until cool, about 30 minutes.
Up to 30 minutes before serving, mix syrup with fruit.