More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
Chill: 30 Minutes
Bake: 20 Minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- 1 (12-oz.) can apricot or cherry dessert filling
- 1. Stir together first 3 ingredients. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbly.
- 2. Whisk together yeast and warm milk. Let stand 10 minutes. (Mixture does not foam.) Stir in egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide dough into fourths; wrap each portion in plastic wrap, and chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Roll each portion of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a flat surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Cut into 3-inch squares. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoonful of apricot or cherry dessert filling in center of each square.
- 4. Fold 2 opposite corners to center, slightly overlapping. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and let cool completely. Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar before serving.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Solo Filling for Pastries, Cakes, and Desserts.
- Snowflake Cookies: Omit dessert filling. Prepare and roll out dough as directed. Cut dough with a 3 3/4-inch snowflake-shaped cookie cutter. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool cookies as directed. Makes about 5 dozen. Prep: 20 min., Stand: 10 min., Chill: 30 min., Bake: 10 min. per batch.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts