More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 3 ripe Granny Smith apples
- 3 ripe Bartlett pears
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sliced fresh plums (2 plums)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place whole apples and pears in a large heat-resistant bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes, turning fruit a few times. Drain; peel fruit, and cut into chunks.
- 2. Stir together apples, pears, sugar, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and cinnamon in a 3 1/2-qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Gently stir in plums, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until plums are tender. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, and, if desired, an additional 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Serve warm or cold.
Prepare this up to a day ahead, and store, covered, in the refrigerator. The amount of lemon juice you use will depend on the sweetness of the fruit.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This