A few spices and a tart apple make these muffins a must-make this weekend. As a bonus, they serve up a good dose of fiber.
Yield: Makes 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 150
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 27.3g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.5mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 158mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups O-shaped sweetened oat-and-wheat bran cereal
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked oat bran hot cereal
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Bring milk to a boil in a large saucepan; remove from heat, and stir in O-shaped cereal. Let stand 5 minutes or until cereal is softened.
- Stir in apple and next 8 ingredients until blended.
- Place paper baking cups in muffin pans, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter evenly into cups.
- Bake at 375° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Cracklin' Oat Bran Cereal for sweetened cereal and Hodgson Mill Oat Bran Hot Cereal for uncooked cereal in this recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This