Frozen Strawberry Shortcake
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- Bay Anglais
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Powdered sugar
- Garnish: fresh mint
- Prepare Bay Anglais. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Process sliced strawberries and sugar in a blender or food processor until pureed; pour strawberry mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding seeds. Stir 1 cup chilled Bay Anglais into strained strawberry mixture. Pour into a 13- x 9-inch pan; cover and freeze 2 hours or until firm.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly; add whipping cream, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Pat or roll dough to a 1-inch thickness; cut into eight 2-inch rounds, and place on a baking sheet. Brush tops of dough with melted butter.
- Bake at 425º for 12 to 13 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Combine chopped strawberries and mint; set aside.
- To serve, pour about 1/3 cup Bay Anglais onto each plate. Slice biscuits in half, and place bottom half on plate. Top with about 2 tablespoons chopped strawberries. Spoon about 1/2 cup frozen strawberry mixture over berries, and top with remaining biscuit half. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts