- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 large green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen green peas
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 large fresh mint leaves
- Garnishes: 1/3 cup heavy cream, whisked to the consistency of thin white sauce, and 4 mint sprigs
How to Make It
Heat butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat 1 minute. Add green onions and orange zest, and sauté, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add peas, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more or until soft, stirring once or twice. If peas threaten to scorch, add a small amount of vegetable broth, and stir.
Scoop into a blender or food processor, add 1 cup broth and next 4 ingredients, and puree until smooth. Transfer half of mixture to a large nonreactive pitcher.
Add remaining 2 cups broth to pea mixture in blender, and puree at high speed until smooth. Combine with mixture in pitcher, cover, and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Whisk well or homogenize with a blender, and ladle into chilled soup bowls. Garnish, if desired.