Give sugar cookies a tasty twist by adding a touch of spice. This recipe is great for any time of the year and you can change the shape and the color of the sprinkles depending on the holiday.
Southern Living JULY 2008
1. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Beat butter and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add cream cheese, orange zest, and vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
3. Divide dough in half, shaping into 2 flattened disks. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 24 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 dough disk on a floured surface. Roll to 1/4-inch thickness; cut with a 4-inch star-shaped cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough disk.
5. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
6. Spread cookies with a thin layer of Simple White Frosting; top with sprinkles.
Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 5. Freeze cookies in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic freezer bag up to 1 month. Thaw completely at room temperature before icing.
Go to full version of