- 2 quarts whole strawberries
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Wash strawberries, leaving stems intact. Drain. Pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and water in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and sugar dissolves. Continue cooking until mixture reaches thread stage (234°). Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) in top of a double boiler until stiff peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating well after each addition. While beating at medium speed of electric mixer, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites. Beat until well blended. Fold in baking powder.
- Place frosting over boiling water; beat constantly at high speed of an electric mixer 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove frosting from heat, and stir in lemon extract.
- Dip strawberries in frosting; place on waxed paper to dry. (Do not refrigerate.) Place strawberries in individual dessert dishes, and serve immediately
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note