I have made this cake twice: for my father's birthday in November and for my birthday yesterday. With my adjustments I would give the cake five stars and everybody loved it. First, add one-half teaspoon of baking soda; it improves the texture of the cake. I also increased the cinnamon to three and one-half teaspoons and added a teaspoon of ginger. It really pumps up the flavor. I beat the eggs well before adding them and then beat the wet ingredients well again before adding the flour. I mixed by hand using a wooden spoon and a whisk. I added a third cup of chopped pecans and a half cup dried cranberries. I baked the cake in two 8 inch round pans. I used the frosting recipe as-is with a little extra vanilla...I made it into a lightly frosted layer cake. It is very good and it looked good, too! I will make it again for my brother, when he visits in February.
Frosted Pumpkin Cake
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Sabrina Bone
Pumpkin cake is moist and fluffy and a great change-up from classic pumpkin pie.
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 135mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 10.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, to sugar mixture; beat well after each addition. Add pumpkin; mix well. Fold in flour mixture. Spread batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 4. To prepare the frosting, combine 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until well combined. Spread frosting evenly over top of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Frosted Pumpkin Cake Recipe at a Glance