This is an extraordinary light, fluffy and delicious pumpkin cake! The basic recipe just needed a few tweaks...I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. I also baked the cake in a 9 x9 inch pan as I could tell by looking at the amount of batter that a 13 by 9 pan was too big. The cake rose beautifully. I think that the negative reviewers must be inexperienced bakers. To ensure a light and fluffy cake, flour MUST be spooned lightly into measuring cups, not scooped. Also the size pan is imperative when baking a cake and if it looks like you don't have enough batter for the pan size listed than size down! Try this cake...it is exceptional!
Frosted Pumpkin Cake
Pumpkin cake is moist and fluffy and a great change-up from classic pumpkin pie.
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 135mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 10.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, to sugar mixture; beat well after each addition. Add pumpkin; mix well. Fold in flour mixture. Spread batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 4. To prepare the frosting, combine 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until well combined. Spread frosting evenly over top of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Frosted Pumpkin Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts