1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
3. Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, to sugar mixture; beat well after each addition. Add pumpkin; beat well. Fold in flour mixture. Spread batter into a 13 x 9inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
4. To prepare frosting, combine 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Spread frosting evenly over top of cake.
Young Chefs can:
- Add measured flour and sugar to batter
- Help sift powdered sugar
Older Chefs can:
- Beat frosting ingredients with a mixer with adult supervision
- Spread frosting on top of cooled cake