- 2 1/2 cups cornbread mix
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 6 (3/4- to 1-pound) farm-raised catfish fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- Peanut oil
How to Make It
Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dip fillets in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off; sprinkle with salt and peppers, and dredge in cornbread mixture.
Pour oil to depth of 4 inches into an electric fryer or Dutch oven; heat to 400°. Fry fillets, 2 at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or until they float; drain on paper towels.