Very easy and so delicious! I halved the recipe, added more garlic and shrimp. When finished it was a bit pale so I added a teaspoon of ketchup for color, I wanted to use tomato paste but was out, otherwise I followed the recipe as written. I served it as a first course with beef tenderloin during the holidays. It was raved over and will definitely be making it again.
From-Scratch Shrimp Bisque
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 342
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 335mg
- Cholesterol: 164mg
- 1 1/2 pounds (31 to 35 per lb.) shrimp
- About 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), quartered
- 4 stalks celery (3/4 lb. total), cut into chunks
- 1 carrot (3 oz.), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- Salt and pepper
- Dill sprigs
- 1. Shell and devein shrimp; save shells. Rinse shrimp. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine shrimp shells, 5 cups broth, onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves, and white peppercorns. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Pour broth through a strainer into a 2-quart glass measure or bowl. If needed, add more broth to make 5 cups.
- 3. Melt butter in same pan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir just until limp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in flour.
- 4. Off the heat, whisk broth and half-and-half into flour mixture. Stir over medium-high heat until boiling, then boil for about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and stir until pink, about 1 minute.
- 5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls; garnish with dill and shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews