From-Scratch Oven Fries
This all-American snack pairs perfectly with your favorite burger or barbecue recipe. Don't be afraid to sprinkle with different seasoning blends instead of salt for a new twist.
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 152
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 28.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 247mg
- Calcium: 7mg
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-size baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or table salt
- Ketchup (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Rinse potatoes in cold water. Drain and pat dry. Toss together potatoes, oil, and salt in a large bowl.
- 2. Place a lightly greased wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on wire rack.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 40 to 45 minutes or until browned. Serve immediately with ketchup, if desired.
- Note: Nutritional analysis does not include ketchup.
- Try These Twists! Three more ways to enjoy our From-Scratch Oven Fries.
- Buffalo Oven Fries: Omit salt. Toss 2 tsp. mesquite seasoning, 1 tsp. hot sauce, 1/2 tsp. celery salt, and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder with potatoes and vegetable oil; bake as directed. Serve with Blue Cheese Dip and bottled hot wing sauce, if desired.
- Per serving (including 2 tbsp. blue cheese dip; not including wing sauce): Calories 211; Fat 8.8g (sat 1.8g, mono 1.3g, poly 4g); Protein 4.2g; Carb 32.4g; Fiber 2.1g; Chol 5mg; Iron 0.5mg; Sodium 537mg; Calc 44mg
- Italian-Parmesan Oven Fries: Toss 2 tsp. freshly ground Italian seasoning with potato mixture, and bake as directed. Sprinkle warm fries with 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with warm Easy Marinara Sauce, if desired.
- Note: We tested with McCormick Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder.
- Per serving (including 1/4 cup marinara sauce): Calories 258; Fat 11.7g (sat 2g, mono 5.8g, poly 3.3g); Protein 5.4g; Carb 35.6g; Fiber 4.3g; Chol 3mg; Iron 1.3mg; Sodium 489mg; Calc 95mg
- Spicy Cheese Oven Fries: Toss a pinch of ground red pepper with potato mixture, and bake as directed. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz.) shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese. Bake 1 more minute or until cheese is melted. Serve with ketchup, if desired.
- Per serving (not including ketchup): Calories 184; Fat 5.9g (sat 1.9g, mono 0.8g, poly 2.3g); Protein 5.3g; Carb 28.9g; Fiber 2g; Chol 8mg; Iron 0.5mg; Sodium 230mg; Calc 83mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note