Good breakfast recipe, but a tad bland (like another reviewer mentioned, a tad bit more salt and maybe a dash of red pepper could fix that right up! Or like another reviewer, add some diced ham!) I planned ahead to make this recipe for Sunday morning breakfast so on Friday night, I made a recipe with cubed boiled red potatoes making 2 cups extra and reserving in a tupperware container in the fridge till I was ready to make this dish. I used one whole bunch of fresh spinach, and only leek (they are quite large!), but otherwise followed the recipe as stated. Next time I will make the dish, I would recommend cutting down on the amount of potatoes (maybe only a 1 1/2 cup) and adding some diced ham - super easy to make and looks very pretty. Wouldn't hesitate to serve as a main dish for a brunch and it's very filling; enjoy!
Frittata with Spinach, Potatoes, and Leeks
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 185
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18.9g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 429mg
- Calcium: 176mg
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups cooked, peeled red potato (about 3/4 pound)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; sauté 4 minutes. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Place mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist.
- Combine milk, basil, salt, pepper, eggs, and egg whites; stir well with a whisk. Add leek mixture and potato. Pour into a 10-inch round ceramic baking dish or pie plate coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and top with cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until center is set.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil frittata 4 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note