Made this salad for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit! People said this was the best salad dressing they had ever had in their lives. The beets are a wonderful delicacy but you can certainly have a fine salad without them (I had extra greens but no more beets for leftovers and I just added some chopped walnuts to the salad and it was fantastic.) You can also use pretty much any other salad mix instead of the spinach. Have made this salad 3 times already.
Frisée, Baby Spinach, and Golden Beet Salad
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
This salad of greens, beets, and goat cheese would please Walter Willett's palate. You can use regular red beets in place of golden beets, or opt for a combination of both.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 175
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 28.7g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 214mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 3/4 pound medium golden beets
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 4 cups frisée or radicchio
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled soft (log-style) goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap each beet in aluminum foil. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender. Discard foil; cool beets for 30 minutes. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Combine cranberry juice, cranberries, sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 11 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in shallots, salt, and pepper. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine lettuce and spinach in a large bowl. Add cranberry mixture; toss to coat. Add beets; toss gently to combine. Divide salad evenly among 6 plates. Top each salad with 4 teaspoons cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads