I had a bunch of yellow squash and this crispy breading worked perfectly. I just cut the squash in circles instead of strips and made a mayo/ketchup/BBQ sauce dipping sauce to go with it... yum!
Fried Zucchini Straws
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Buffy Hargett
If you're looking for something different to do with your garden surplus of zucchini, one bite of these Fried Zucchini Straws and you'll be hooked.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- Canola oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Combine 2 cups flour, next 2 ingredients, and 1 tsp. salt in a shallow dish. Whisk together eggs and 3 Tbsp. water in another dish.
- 2. Process breadcrumbs in a food processor 10 to 15 seconds or until finely ground. Combine breadcrumbs, 4 Tbsp. flour, oregano, pepper, and remaining 2 tsp. salt in a third shallow dish.
- 3. Dredge zucchini, in batches, in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- 4. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium heat to 325°. Fry zucchini, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This