This turned out really good. A little bland and could use more seasoning. The best way to cut the strips is to quarter the zucchini lengthwise, slice off seed area from each quarter then slice remaining into strips.
Fried Zucchini Straws
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Buffy Hargett
If you're looking for something different to do with your garden surplus of zucchini, one bite of these Fried Zucchini Straws and you'll be hooked.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- Canola oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Combine 2 cups flour, next 2 ingredients, and 1 tsp. salt in a shallow dish. Whisk together eggs and 3 Tbsp. water in another dish.
- 2. Process breadcrumbs in a food processor 10 to 15 seconds or until finely ground. Combine breadcrumbs, 4 Tbsp. flour, oregano, pepper, and remaining 2 tsp. salt in a third shallow dish.
- 3. Dredge zucchini, in batches, in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- 4. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium heat to 325°. Fry zucchini, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note