I am an expat living in China. I tried this recipe with dumpling dough, believe it or not, it was really good. I would definitely make these again.
Fried Strawberry Pies
Freeze the pies before frying to prevent the crusts from disintegrating in the hot oil. Hide one for yourself before they all get away.
Yield: Makes 18 pies
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring strawberry mixture to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened. Cool completely.
- Roll 1 piecrust to press out fold lines; cut into 9 circles with a 3-inch round cutter. Roll circles to 3 1/2-inch diameter; moisten edges with water. Spoon 2 teaspoons strawberry mixture in the center of each circle; fold over, pressing edges to seal. Repeat with remaining piecrust and strawberry mixture.
- Place pies in a single layer on a baking sheet, and freeze at least 1 hour.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 350°. Fry pies, in batches, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fried Strawberry Pies Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Pies/Pastries
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Fry
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes Like This