I am an expat living in China. I tried this recipe with dumpling dough, believe it or not, it was really good. I would definitely make these again.
Fried Strawberry Pies
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring strawberry mixture to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened. Cool completely.
- Roll 1 piecrust to press out fold lines; cut into 9 circles with a 3-inch round cutter. Roll circles to 3 1/2-inch diameter; moisten edges with water. Spoon 2 teaspoons strawberry mixture in the center of each circle; fold over, pressing edges to seal. Repeat with remaining piecrust and strawberry mixture.
- Place pies in a single layer on a baking sheet, and freeze at least 1 hour.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 350°. Fry pies, in batches, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fried Strawberry Pies Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Pies/Pastries
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Fry
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Desserts