Fried Soft-Shell Crab
Seafood lovers will want to dive right in and enjoy this succulent Fried Soft-Shell Crab. Have plenty of fresh lemons on hand to douse with extra tangy flavor.
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- Vegetable oil
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 6 soft-shell crabs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360º. Whisk together milk, egg, and 1/4 cup water in a large bowl.
- 2. Rinse crabs, and pat dry. Sprinkle crabs with seasoned salt. Dredge crabs in flour; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in flour again. Fry crabs, in batches, in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
- Fried Shrimp: Substitute 2 lb. peeled, large raw shrimp with tails (21/25 count) for soft-shell crab. Prepare recipe as directed, heating oil to 325º and frying shrimp, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Prep: 20 min., Fry: 3 min. per batch.
- Fried Grouper: Substitute 2 lb. grouper, cut into 2-inch fillets, for soft-shell crab. Prepare recipe as directed, heating oil to 350º and frying grouper, in batches, 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Prep: 10 min., Fry: 6 min. per batch.
- Fried Oysters: Substitute 2 pt. fresh oysters, drained, for soft-shell crab. Prepare recipe as directed, frying oysters, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Prep: 10 min., Fry: 2 min. per batch.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note