This recipe was a "go to" for me when I was a vegetarian. However, I made a few changes to make it easier and more flavorful. 1) I cut my tofu block in half lengthwise & press it between several layers of paper towel with weight (can of veggies) on top for at least 1 hr. in the fridge.( I change the paper towels at least twice.) Then I cut it into the cubes & marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic powder & red pepper flakes for about 20-30 min.before cooking it. (I do not salt it after cooking since it's been marinated in soy sauce.) 2) I use a frozen bag of stir-fry veggies instead of cutting up the various veggies in the recipe. (But I do still add the cilantro because it's delicious.) But before I add the rice to the skillet, I drain off the water that comes out of the frozen veggies when I cook them. 3) I add lots more seasoning. I use garlic powder and red pepper flakes and about 1/3 cup soy.
Fried Rice with Pineapple and Tofu
The brown rice in this dish is nuttier-tasting and better for you than white. Long-grain brown rice tends to be a little milder than short-grain, but whichever you use, be sure to start this recipe using cold cooked rice.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Carbohydrate: 36.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 375mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts or peanut oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup shelled green peas
- 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 4 cups cooked long-grain brown rice, chilled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- Place tofu between paper towels until barely moist. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook 8 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with salt. Remove tofu from pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onions, and sauté 2 minutes. Add peas, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in rice, and cook 2 minutes. Add tofu, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and pineapple; cook 1 minute, stirring gently. Remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce and peanuts. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This