Fried Quail With Cream Gravy
- 16 quail, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Sprinkle quail with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in 2 cups flour. Heat oil to 400°, and brown quail on both sides in a large skillet. Pour water over quail. Reduce heat; cover, and cook 10 minutes. Uncover, and simmer an additional 35 minutes. Remove quail to serving platter. Drain off drippings, reserving 6 tablespoons in skillet.
- Add remaining flour to reserved drippings; cook over low heat, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining salt and pepper. Serve gravy with quail.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note