- Queso fresco casero* or cold jack cheese, cut into wedges about 1 1/2-in. wide and 2 in. long
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Classic Salsa Verde, at room temperature
- Chopped cilantro
How to Make It
Coat cheese in flour, shaking off excess, then in beaten egg, then in panko; set on a plate.
Heat 1/2 in. oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Working quickly, sauté a few cheese wedges at a time until golden, turning once if needed, 15 to 45 seconds.
Drain cheese on paper towels, then quickly transfer to warm plates. Top with generous spoonfuls of salsa and a sprinkling of cilantro.
*Buy at Mexican markets.