Fried Oyster Salad with Louisiana Caviar Dressing
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 6 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 dozen shucked and drained oysters
- Canola oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups frisée lettuce or curly endive
- 1/4 cup Walnut Oil Vinaigrette
- Louisiana Caviar Dressing
- 1. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dip oysters in egg whites, and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- 2. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large deep skillet; heat over medium-high heat to 350°. Fry oysters, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until done. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle hot oysters with salt.
- 3. Toss together lettuce and Walnut Oil Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Spoon Louisiana Caviar Dressing onto serving plates. Top with lettuce mixture and fried oysters.
- Reprinted with permission from My New Orleans, The Cookbook by John Besh (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2009).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads