Fried Oyster Salad with Louisiana Caviar Dressing
More From Coastal Living
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 dozen shucked and drained oysters
- Canola oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups frisée lettuce or curly endive
- 1/4 cup Walnut Oil Vinaigrette
- Louisiana Caviar Dressing
- 1. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dip oysters in egg whites, and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- 2. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large deep skillet; heat over medium-high heat to 350°. Fry oysters, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until done. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle hot oysters with salt.
- 3. Toss together lettuce and Walnut Oil Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Spoon Louisiana Caviar Dressing onto serving plates. Top with lettuce mixture and fried oysters.
- Reprinted with permission from My New Orleans, The Cookbook by John Besh (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2009).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note