Fried Oyster Po' Boys
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 1013
- Fat: 60.7g
- Cholesterol: 138mg
- Sodium: 1423mg
- 1 (1-pound) loaf unsliced French bread
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 (12-ounce) containers Standard oysters, drained
- 1 1/3 cups cornmeal mix
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Slice off top third of loaf; hollow out bottom section, reserving crumbs for another use. Spread inside surfaces of bread with butter. Place bread on a baking sheet, and bake at 400° for 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Dredge oysters in cornmeal mix. Fry oysters, in batches, in deep hot oil (375°) 2 minutes or until oysters float to the top and are golden. Drain oysters well on paper towels; keep warm.
- Combine mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients; stir well. Stir in lettuce. Spread lettuce mixture in hollowed bread. Top with tomato slices, oysters, and top of loaf. Cut loaf into 4 portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches