Fried Oyster and Pear Salad
This showy French salad has much to offer--fresh greens, juicy pears, crisp fried oysters, and a honey-balsamic vinaigrette. It's also very good without the oysters.
Yield: 8 servings
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (12-ounce) containers fresh Select oysters, drained
- Vegetable oil
- 8 cups loosely packed gourmet mixed salad greens
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 ripe red Bartlett pears, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients; set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture. Pour oil to depth of 2" into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry oysters, a few at a time, 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Set aside, and keep warm.
- Arrange greens, green onions, pear slices, and oysters on individual plates. Drizzle dressing over salads. Serve immediately.
- Note: Fry the oysters ahead; then reheat them just before serving in a 450° oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp.
- *Herbes de Provence is a dried herb blend consisting of herbs common to Southern France. Find the blend in tiny earthenware crocks in specialty kitchen shops. For a simple substitution use 1/2 teaspoon each crushed lavendar and rosemary leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads