Fried Okra Salad
Fried Okra Salad 1 pound small fresh okra 2 cups buttermilk 1 pound bacon, chopped 1 cup cornmeal 1 cup all purpose flour 1 1/4 tsps. salt, divided 3/4 tsp. pepper, divided Corn oil 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped 1/4 cup corn oil 3 TBS. red wine vinegar 3 TBS. honey 1 1/2 TBS. Dijon mustard 1 tsp. paprika 1 lb. Bibb lettuce 6 tomatoes, sliced Garnish: fresh basil sprigs Stir together okra and buttermilk in a large bowl; let stand 20 mins. Drain. Cook bacon in a large skillet over med. heat
Yield: 10 servings
Community Recipe from
- 1 pound(s) okra
- Stir together okra and buttermilk in a large bowl; let stand 20 mins. Drain.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over med. heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon drippings.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large heavy duty, ziplock plastic bag; add okra, a few at a time, sealing and shaking to coat each batch.
- Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet. Fry okra, in batches, in hot oil 2 mins. on each side or until golden. Drain well on paper towels.
- Process reserved bacon drippings, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper, onion, and next 5 ingreds. in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Pour into a 1 cup glass measuring cup.
- Microwave dressing mixture at HIGH 30 to 45 secs. or untl thoroughly heated.
- Line a large serving platter with lettuce leaves; arrange tomato and okra over lettuce. Sprinkle with bacon, and drizzle with warm dressing. Serve immed. Garnish if desired. Yield: 6 main dish or 10 side dish servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by RobinHodges and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fried Okra Salad Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers
More Recipes for Main Dishes