It was great! I fixed it for my mom and aunt. It was yummy. I did not have any buttermilk so I dipped it in an egg and a milk mixture, then dredged it in cornmeal. I had some leftover corn on the cob, so I cut it off and diced about 1/2 tsp of jalapeno pepper in the corn with a tsp. sugar, warmed it up and layered it on the bed of lettuce to give the salad some additional color. Yum I would do this again and again. So many ways to fix it.
Fried Okra Salad
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Peanut oil
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- Lemon Dressing
- 3 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Combine cornmeal and salt. Dip okra in buttermilk; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour peanut oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven or deep cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter; top with tomato, onion slices, and bell pepper. Add Lemon Dressing, tossing to coat. Top with fried okra, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads