- 1 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Peanut oil
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- Lemon Dressing
- 3 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
How to Make It
Combine cornmeal and salt. Dip okra in buttermilk; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
Pour peanut oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven or deep cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter; top with tomato, onion slices, and bell pepper. Add Lemon Dressing, tossing to coat. Top with fried okra, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.