Fried Mac and Cheese Balls
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) large elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 cup(s) whole milk, heated
- 3 tablespoon(s) milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1 pound(s) white sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pound(s) smoke gouda cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 box(es) panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Cook your double elbow macaroni according to directions. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside. (Please make sure you under cook these noodles just a little).
- Start grating your cheeses with your grater. Place the cheddar and Gouda cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a big saucepan on the stove melt your 3 tablespoons of butter. Once it melts add your flour by sprinkling it in the saucepan and mix well with the whisk- stirring out the lumps. Whisk in your 2 cups of the warmed milk into the mixture. Cook for approx 4 minutes till the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add the cheeses you grated from your cheese bowl. Stir well melting the cheese until it is melted and smoothed.
- Add your cooked drained macaroni to your cheese sauce. Fold in the macaroni well and mix well with the cheese sauce. Season with salt pepper. Butter a large square glass pan. Put your macaroni cheese mix in the glass pan. Place the pan in the fridge till the mac and cheese is cold- about 2 hours. Using a Tablespoon Shape the cold mac and cheese into balls- about the size of an inch 1/2. Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with foil in the freezer for about an hour.
- Take the balls out of the freezer, and one by one hold them in your hand and compress the balls to make them firmer and tighter. Place them back on the cookie sheet lined with foil and stick them back in the freezer for one more hour. In a small bowl place your 3 eggs and your 3 Tablespoon of milk and whisk set aside. In a zip lock bag place your Panko bread crumbs set aside.
- To Cook: Heat up your vegetable oil (You want enough to cover the mac and cheese balls).If you have a fryer than heat the fryer up. You know your oil is ready when you sprinkle water in the oil and it crackles. One by one take your mac and cheese balls and dip in the egg mixture- then drop in the Panko bread crumbs. Coat each Mac and cheese ball good. Dip the coated mac balls in the heated vegetable oil. They will be a light brown when they are done. Set on a paper towel to drain the oil.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Vixxenesque and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fried Mac and Cheese Balls Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers