Yield: 8 servings
- 1 quart water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quick grits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bring water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits. Cook grits until done, following package directions. Remove from heat.
- Pour cooked grits into a greased 8 1/2- x 4 1/2- x 3-inch loaf pan. Cool; cover and refrigerate overnight
- Remove chilled grits by inverting pan; cut loaf into 1/2-inch slices, and set aside.
- Combine flour, remaining salt, pepper, milk, and egg in a small mixing bowl; mix well. Dip slices into batter.
- Melt lard in a large skillet at 325° to a depth of 1/2 inch; add grits slices, and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch