- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices all-green tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 24 medium shrimp (about 1/2 pound) peeled, cooked, and chilled
- 1 cup Remoulade Sauce, chilled
- Garnish: mixed greens
How to Make It
Whisk together egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, then coat with seasoned cornmeal.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Place tomato slices in pan in a single layer, and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and brown other side, about 3 minutes more. Interior should be cooked through but not mushy.
Place 2 tomato slices on each of 4 serving plates and top each slice with 3 shrimp. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons Remoulade Sauce over each slice, and garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.