Fried Green Tomatoes with Garlicky Rémoulade
Buttermilk is the key ingredient in this recipe; it helps the cornmeal coating adhere to the tomatoes. These are served with a garlicky rémoulade just as they would be in New Orleans.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 155mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices green tomato (about 3 medium tomatoes)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat buttermilk, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1. Sprinkle both sides of tomato slices evenly with salt and pepper. Combine 1 cup buttermilk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Place flour in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish.
- 2. Dredge tomato slices lightly in flour; shake off excess flour. Dip tomato slices in egg mixture; dredge in cornmeal. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Cook 6 tomato slices 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Spray tops with cooking spray; turn tomatoes, and cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; place on a wire rack. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and tomato slices.
- 3. Combine 2 tablespoons buttermilk, mayonnaise, and next 3 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Serve with tomatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note