Fried Green Tomatoes With Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade
Photo: Van Chaplin, Jennifer Davick; Stylist: Lisa Powell Bailey
Linton prefers to fry in peanut oil because of its higher smoke point.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Fry: 6 Minutes
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup plain white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Vegetable or peanut oil
- Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade
- Garnishes: bread-and-butter pickles, fresh parsley sprig
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes evenly with salt and pepper.
- 2. Pour buttermilk into a shallow dish or pie plate. Stir together cornmeal, Creole seasoning, and 1 cup flour in another shallow dish or pie plate.
- 3. Dredge tomatoes in remaining 1 cup flour. Dip tomatoes in buttermilk, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- 4. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a large cast-iron skillet; heat over medium heat to 350°. Fry tomatoes, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to a wire rack; keep warm in a 200° oven until ready to serve. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve with Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables