These are so crisp and yummy. We didn't miss the fat or calories at all. I served them with the Sriracha Remoulade and loved it.
Fried Green Tomatoes
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 65
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 9.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 157mg
- Calcium: 16mg
- 4 medium-size green tomatoes (about 1 1/3 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Combine cornmeal mix and panko in a shallow dish or pie plate. Place flour in a second shallow dish or pie plate. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Dredge tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg whites, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- 3. Cook half of tomato slices in 1 1/2 Tbsp. hot oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Season with salt to taste. Place on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan, and keep warm in a 225° oven. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato slices and oil.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables