Perfect recipe. Be sure to make the remoulade sauce with it. I've served these as the po'boy, with the shrimp, as well as a side with a breakfast casserole at a church brunch. Everyone raves about them.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 30 Minutes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 medium-size, firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- Vegetable oil
- 1. Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Combine cornmeal mix, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- 2. Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375° over medium-high heat. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This