Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield: Makes 2 servings
- 2 green (unripe) tomatoes (8 oz. each)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ripe red tomatoes (8 oz. each)
- Semonlina flour or yellow cornmeal
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 cup rinsed and crisped frisée or baby salad mix
- 1. Rinse green tomatoes; cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, discarding tops and bottoms. Lightly sprinkle both sides of slices with salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on paper towels. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut red tomatoes in half and squeeze juice and flesh into a fine strainer set over a bowl; press enough tomato solids through strainer to make about 1/3 cup liquid.
- 3. Coat green tomato slices in semolina flour or yellow cornmeal. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Cook tomato slices in a single layer until golden brown on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes total. Stack slices on two dinner plates.
- 4. Add the 1/3 cup tomato juice and solids, vinegar, and butter to pan; stir constantly over medium-high heat until butter is melted and incorporated into juices, 1 to 2 minutes. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over tomato stacks.
- 5. Mix frisée with 1 teaspoon olive oil; mound equally on tomato stacks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers