Yummy, even with canola oil. Served with our NOLA friend's mother's remoulade recipe for dinner. The only caution would be to make sure you start with enough hot oil to fry all the tomatoes. Adding oil to the pan made the second batch a little greasy.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
- Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note