this is a fun recipe. I had to look up how to make self-rising cornmeal as i could not find it. But it was easy. Also I had a hard time with the batter coming off the tomato at first, but once the oil was hotter, it didn't happen as easily. I really like the tomatillo sauce and this is a great way to use them up in the garden. Although it does not look very filling, it is.
Fried Green Tomato Stacks
For bacon drippings, fry three to four bacon slices in a skillet until crisp; remove bacon from skillet, and reserve bacon for another use.
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 tomatillos, husked
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 4 large green tomatoes, cut into 18 (1/4-inch) slices
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peanut oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Garnish: fresh basil leaf
- Bring tomatillos and water to cover to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain tomatillos, and cool.
- Process tomatillos, bacon drippings, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and paprika in a food processor or blender until smooth; stir in basil. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Stir together cornmeal, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip tomato slices in buttermilk; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a skillet; heat to 375°. Fry tomato slices, in batches, in hot oil 1 to 2 minutes on each side; drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Keep warm.
- Combine cream cheese, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place 1 fried tomato slice on each of 6 salad plates; top each evenly with half of cream cheese mixture. Top each with 1 fried tomato slice and remaining cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining 6 fried tomato slices; drizzle with tomatillo dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fried Green Tomato Stacks Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables