- 3 tomatillos, husked
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 4 large green tomatoes, cut into 18 (1/4-inch) slices
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peanut oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Garnish: fresh basil leaf
How to Make It
Bring tomatillos and water to cover to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain tomatillos, and cool.
Process tomatillos, bacon drippings, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and paprika in a food processor or blender until smooth; stir in basil. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Stir together cornmeal, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip tomato slices in buttermilk; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a skillet; heat to 375°. Fry tomato slices, in batches, in hot oil 1 to 2 minutes on each side; drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Keep warm.
Combine cream cheese, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place 1 fried tomato slice on each of 6 salad plates; top each evenly with half of cream cheese mixture. Top each with 1 fried tomato slice and remaining cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining 6 fried tomato slices; drizzle with tomatillo dressing.