- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups gourmet salad greens
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 6 yellow pear or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 red pear or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Tomato Crostini
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
How to Make It
Cut off pointed end of garlic bulb, and place on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil, and fold foil to seal.
Bake at 400° for 1 hour. Cool and peel 12 cloves; reserve any remaining cloves for other uses.
Whisk egg and buttermilk in a small bowl. Stir together cornmeal and next 3 ingredients. Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
Heat oil to 350° in a large skillet; fry tomato slices, in batches, in hot oil 1 minute on each side; drain.
Toss greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette. Arrange on individual plates. Stack tomato slices and pear tomatoes on plates. Sprinkle with chopped tomato, parsley, and garlic. Serve with Tomato Crostini. Garnish, if desired.