Fried Green Tomato BLTs
Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
A Southern favorite, fried green tomatoes lend a delightful twist to this sandwich. The tomatoes take center stage over the bacon in this version.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 380
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 54.1g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 889mg
- Calcium: 105mg
- 8 slices 40%-less-fat bacon
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices green tomato (about 2 tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 (1-ounce) slices country white bread, toasted
- 8 red leaf lettuce leaves
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Set bacon and drippings aside.
- Combine cornmeal, cheese, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mixture. Heat 1 teaspoon reserved drippings and 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Cook 6 tomato slices 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 teaspoon bacon drippings, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, and 6 tomato slices.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 2 lettuce leaves, 3 tomato slices, and 2 bacon slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note