Fried Green Tomatillos with Jalapeño Dipping Sauce
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
- 1/2 cup jalapeño pepper jelly
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cracker meal
- 12 medium tomatillos, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup bacon drippings
- Cook jelly and lime juice in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until jelly melts. Remove from heat; stir in lime rind, and set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish. Combine milk and egg in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Combine cracker meal, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish. Coat tomatillo slices in flour mixture, dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker meal mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil and bacon drippings to 374° in a deep fat fryer. Fry tomatillo slices in batches 2 to 3 1/2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately with jalapeno jelly mixture.
- Note: To fry whole tomatillos, peel back husks, leaving stem ends attached; proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers