- 2 pounds grouper, mahi mahi, cod, or halibut fillets
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups cold beer
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- Tartar sauce or mayonnaise
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
How to Make It
Cut fish into 3-inch strips. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tsp. Greek seasoning, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, remaining 1 tsp. Greek seasoning, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; stir well. Add 2 cups cold beer and egg, stirring until thoroughly blended and smooth.
Pour oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
Dip fish strips into batter, coating both sides well; shake off excess. Fry fish, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden (do not crowd pan). Drain on paper towels.
Spread top half of each bun evenly with tartar sauce. Place 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato slice on bottom half of each bun; top each with 2 fried fish strips and top halves of buns.