Kirby cucumbers are short (about 6 inches long) and very crisp, which makes them ideal for pickling and frying.
Yield: Makes about 5 1/2 to 6 dozen
More From Southern Living
- 4 small Kirby cucumbers (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soft drink
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Ranch dressing or desired sauce
- 1. Arrange cucumber slices between layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and let stand 20 minutes.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and next 3 ingredients. Stir in soft drink and egg. Dip cucumber slices into batter.
- 3. Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large cast-iron or heavy skillet; heat to 375°. Fry cucumbers, 6 to 8 at a time, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and serve immediately with dressing or sauce.
- Note: We tested with White Lily Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note