- 4 small Kirby cucumbers (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soft drink
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Ranch dressing or desired sauce
How to Make It
Arrange cucumber slices between layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and let stand 20 minutes.
Combine cornstarch and next 3 ingredients. Stir in soft drink and egg. Dip cucumber slices into batter.
Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large cast-iron or heavy skillet; heat to 375°. Fry cucumbers, 6 to 8 at a time, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and serve immediately with dressing or sauce.
Note: We tested with White Lily Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix.