Fried Chicken Wings with Black Bean Sauce
Photo: John Kernick
More From Food & Wine
- 1/2 cup Chinese black bean sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil, toasted
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha chile sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 pounds chicken wings, patted dry
- In a blender, puree the black bean sauce, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, water, Sriracha, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic and five-spice powder until smooth. Transfer the black bean sauce to a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer over moderately low heat until thickened and glossy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the wings, turning once, until deep golden and crispy, 12 minutes; be sure to keep the oil at 350°. Drain the wings on a rack set over a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the black bean sauce until coated. Transfer the wings to a large platter and serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers