Pick up fried chicken at the grocery store or save a few pieces from your last homemade batch to whip up this summer-fresh salad in a hurry. A rainbow of vegetables, including corn, red pepper, celery, and lima beans, gives this one-dish meal flavor and a hearty dose of color. Top with a tangy Dijon vinaigrette and serve with a glass of iced tea.
More From Real Simple
- Calcium: 73mg
- Calories: 295
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Fat: 19g
- Fiber: 4g
- Iron: 2mg
- Protein: 10mg
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Sodium: 1401mg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 cups lima beans, thawed if frozen
- 2 bunches watercress, stems removed
- 8 to 10 pieces fried chicken, meat (with skin) taken off the bone
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, boil 1 cup water. Cook the corn until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and let cool. In a bowl, combine the corn with the red pepper, celery, and lima beans. Toss with half the vinaigrette.
Toss the watercress with the remaining vinaigrette. Divide it among 6 large bowls. Just before serving, spoon some of the vegetable mixture over each salad and top with several pieces of chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This