- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mild cheddar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, preferably black
- Mango chutney, for serving
How to Make It
In a large bowl, knead the chicken with the cheddar, onion, cilantro, mint, ginger, garlic, jalapeño, cumin seeds, paprika, garam masala, salt and cardamom. Using lightly moistened hands, roll the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
Put the beaten eggs and bread crumbs in 2 separate pie plates. Roll the balls in the egg and then dredge in the bread crumbs, pressing to adhere.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the chicken balls over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel–lined baking sheet. Pierce each kebab with a short skewer and transfer to a platter. Serve with mango chutney.