- 1 1/2 teaspoons to 1 Tbsp. ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 bread slices, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Peanut oil
- Blue cheese dressing or honey mustard dressing
How to Make It
Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl; reserve half of spice mixture. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place chicken in a medium bowl, and toss with remaining spice mixture until coated. Stir in buttermilk; cover and chill 24 hours.
Tear bread into pieces, and place in a food processor with reserved spice mixture. Process until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in flour. Remove chicken pieces from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk. Dredge chicken in breadcrumb mixture.
Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Fry chicken, in batches, 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve warm or cold with blue cheese dressing or honey mustard.
Total time does not include 1 day marinating time.