- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 catfish fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
- 4 onion sandwich buns, split and toasted
- Cocktail or tartar sauce
- Lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices (optional)
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large shallow dish.
Sprinkle fish with salt; dredge in flour mixture, coating well.
Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches in a Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Fry fish 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve on sandwich buns with cocktail sauce, lettuce, and, if desired, tomato.