- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 10 (6- to 8-ounce) farm-raised catfish fillets
- Peanut oil
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish; set aside.
- Stir together buttermilk and egg in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, garlic powder, and thyme in a zip-top freezer bag.
- Dredge catfish in flour mixture, and dip in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place catfish in cornmeal mixture; seal bag, and shake to coat.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 360°. Fry catfish, in batches, 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on wire racks over paper towels, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This